Questions for Agriculture Official
Mr. Fred Swan
Candidate for Georgia agricultural commissioner
Symposium: February 21, 2022 at 6 PM
The Agricultural Center
4950 Highway 37
Everyone is invited. If you have a question for the candidate, call: 229-336-7030
Please leave a message, and they will return your call.
- In which ways will you publicize counties with high euthanasia rates?
- In what manner will you obtain and provide statistics, on a monthly and annual basis, regarding the euthanasia rates for all animal shelters in Georgia?
- What actions will you take to regulate the so-called backyard breeding, which has a direct bearing on overpopulation of animals in local shelters, leading to excessive euthanasia rates?
- Many other states have lower euthanasia rates. What will you do to improve Georgia’s national standing regarding the current euthanasia rate?
Spaying and Neutering
- In which ways will you be a fierce advocate for spaying and neutering in the State of Georgia?
- How will you make available funding for free spaying and neutering in counties across Georgia?
No Kill Shelters
- It is a national goal to have no kill shelters across the United States by 2025. What specific actions will Georgia take to lead in this regard?
Shelters and Animal Welfare Organizations
- What financial resources will you provide to make sure Georgia’s animal shelters are exercising best practices?
- Will you provide financial resources to make sure that animal shelters in Georgia are audited regarding the amount that is spent on animals, versus the amount spent on salaries and overhead?
- Will you and your staff visit animal shelters regularly?
- Will you and your staff provide current names and contact information for animal shelters and Animal Welfare organizations across Georgia?
- How will your office be actively involved in nationally promoting best practices in Animal Welfare in our animal shelters, and in our counties?
- What steps will you take to communicate with animal shelters and Animal Welfare Organizations over social media, or other publicly viewed methods?
- In which ways will you assist Animal Welfare Organizations financially?
- How will you recognize volunteers in Animal Welfare across Georgia with awards, proclamations, and other recognition that they deserve?
- How much control does the Agriculture Department have over local counties animal control practices?
- Because there are rules about the ages when animals can be sold, and how many litters can be sold per year which both make them subject to regulations like breeders, does the department have any control over local regulations and operations of these folks?
- What steps will you take to keep communication open with Animal Welfare organizations across Georgia?
- How will you promote the communication of Animal Welfare organizations to your office?
- What steps will you take to provide financial support for animal shelters?
- What steps will you take to inspect shelters?
- When your office receives a complaint against an animal shelter, how will that be acted upon?
- How will you assist with low cost veterinarian services for those in financial need?